Chesterton said, “The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”


Please pray for the repose of the soul of Anthony Gerard Edward, Earl of Gainsborough, Bailiff Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion, and President of the Hospital, born 24 Oct 1923; died 29 Dec 2009, for whom a Requiem Mass was at the Brompton Oratory on Thursday 28th January at 11am.

Brompton Oratory was all but filled for the Requiem, which was celebrated by Fr. Ronald Creighton-Jobe.  The music, from Anerio's Missa Pro Defunctis, was sung by the London Oratory Choir.

Thirty members of the family were present, the Dowager Lady Gainsborough escorted by her son Viscount Camden, the new Earl of Gainsborough. HE Cardinal Cormac Murphy O' Connor, Dom Edward Coubould OSB, Dom Dominic Milroy OSB, and the Grand Prior of England were robed in the sanctuary.

Seventy members of the Order and over seven hundred friends attended, including a contingent of estate workers and their families, all of whom the late Lord Gainsborough knew personally.

In his homily, Fr. Ronald Creighton-Jobe spoke of Tony Gainsborough's sixty years of service to the Order of Malta and the Church, championing the Lourdes pilgrimage, devoting much time to the development of the Hospital of St. John and St. Elizabeth as its chairman, and latterly to the Orders of St John Homes Care Trust. His kindly presence was a comfort to malades over many years of devotion to them.

Lord Gainsborough was chairman of Rutland County Council and a well-loved Commodore of the Bembridge Sailing Club. A generous host and friend, he was married for 62 years, was a member of the Order for 60, raised seven children and lived to know his great grandchild.

Tony Gainsborough was President of the British Association, Order of Malta 1968-74; Chairman of Saint John and Saint Elizabeth Hospital from 1970 to 1980, and President of the Hospital from then until his death.

His family has long association with the Hospital, the 3rd Earl was the first Treasurer of the Hospital from 1880 to 1883.

Requiescat in pace.